Come take a tour of the Historic Pritchard House. This house is located at 424 S. Washington Avenue in the heart of Historic Downtown Titusville, Florida. The Pritchard house was built in 1891 and has been beautifully restored in recent years. Today the house appears much as it did at the time it was built. The house is fully furnished with accessories from the late 1800′s and early 1900′s. These items were passed down through the Pritchard family until 2005 when the house and its contents were purchased by Brevard County. Following the purchase, the county invested much into the preservation of the house including re-roofing it, stabilizing balconies, painting it, and replacing rotted beams.
The home’s original owner, James Pritchard, was a Captain in the Civil War. Following the war, he traveled around, meeting his wife, and eventually settling in Titusville, Florida with his family. He helped found several important businesses in Titusville in the 1880′s and 1890′s including a bank, an electric company and, a hardware store. With his successes, he purchased a lot and built the Queen Ann style house which later became known as the Pritchard House.
The Pritchard House is available for rental for celebrations and weddings. Tours of the house are also available by reservation on Tuesdays-Fridays. Tours are hosted at 10:30am and 1:30pm on these days. Tours are guided by volunteer docents who dress in period costumes and retell the history of the house as well as telling about Titusville at the turn of the century. To arrange a tour, call (321) 267-4480. Tours require a $5 donation which goes towards the upkeep of the house.
The Pritchard House grounds include the Family History Gardens which are open to the public daily from 10am to 6pm. These gardens highlight some of the families who were instrumental in Titusville’s early history.